X490 Independent Study gives students introductory experience with a research program, allows intensive inquiry into a field of study, prepares students for postgraduate study, and in some cases may fulfill Honors Degree requirements.
Summer research programs
- Biology Undergraduate Education Program (includes IFLE, STARS)
Funded by the College of Arts and Sciences, the Biology Undergraduate Education Program includes opportunities for first-year students, a summer institute, a capstone experience, and curriculum enhancement. This opportunity is only open to IUB undergraduates.
- Center from the Integrative Study of Animal Behavior (CISAB) REU Program
Funded by the National Science Foundation, the Research Experience for Undergraduates program is a summer research experience in animal behavior. It offers talented undergraduates a unique opportunity to conduct key research and gain valuable skills while exploring career opportunities in the sciences. REU is open to IU and non-IU undergraduate students.
- ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship
This summer research experience is funded by the American Society of Microbiologists and is open to undergraduates majoring in microbiology. Interested applicants should contact their faculty mentor about sponsoring them.
- IU Office of Sustainability Summer Internship Program in Sustainability
This program utilizes IU’s campus as a living-learning lab, enlisting students as researchers in investigating questions facing our community, such as:
- How do the ways in which our campus operates and consumes resources affect the social, environmental, and economic wellbeing of our community?
- How is our campus impact connected to more complicated global issues like climate change, resource scarcity, and poverty?
- What opportunities do we have as individuals, institutions, communities, and governments to increase collective social and economic health?
- How do we best communicate these opportunities?
- How will we adapt and ensure all people have the ability to thrive in response to dynamic climate conditions and limitations on resources?
Interns work 20 hours per week and are enrolled in a 1-credit seminar designed to provide a background in sustainability and a forum for collaborating.
- Amgen Scholars Program
Offered by the California Institute of Technology, this summer research experience is open to sophomores through non-graduating senior undergraduates. It’s geared toward students in biology, chemistry, and biotechnology fields.
- Institute for Strategic Enhancement of Educational Diversity (iSEED) Summer Research Program
This 10-week summer research experience at the University of Buffalo offers research, laboratory skills training, mentoring, a stipend, and housing. It’s open to undergraduates.