Be a part of the world's biggest IU party!
Steppin' out for science
Join us on campus (or virtually) for IU Biology's first IU Day walk: Steppin' out for science.
Faculty, staff, and students will gather on April 10 at the steps of the East 3rd Street entrance to Jordan Hall. The "Steppin' out for Science" walk begins at 1:30 p.m., led by Grand Marshals from IU Biology and the IU Biology Club:
- Olivia Ballew—GCDB Ph.D. candiate (Lacefield lab), 2020 Olympic trials qualifier in marathon, and 2019 Boston Marathon competitor
- Cliff Huggins—director of facilities and laboratory services and 2019 Boston Marathon competitor
- Jennifer Lau—associate professor of biology and 2019 Kalamazoo Marathon competitor
- Jordan Crabtree—biology undergraduate student and IU Biology Club co-president
- Jessy Tang—human biology undergraduate student and IU Biology Club co-president
The walk (approximately 3 blocks) will head westward and circle around Myers Hall, looping back to the Jordan Hall atrium entrance to join festivities in the atrium.
Not on campus? Don your IU apparel and post a photo of yourself "steppin' out for science" (walking, running, or waving hello) to Twitter or Facebook. Tag it #IUDayBioSteps and your location (e.g., #PortlandOregon, #Singapore). We'll post as many as we can to IU Biology Twitter and Facebook.
One lucky alum who posts his/her #IUDayBioSteps photo on April 10 will be selected to win a “Steppin’ out for science” t-shirt. The winner (along with photo) will be announced on this page and social media by April 17.
The "Steppin' out for science" walk is being held to call attention to the need for travel funds for our students to attend and present at scientific conferences.
Please consider making an IU Day donation to the Biology Enrichment Fund. Gifts that are designated as "Steppin' out for science" on IU Day (April 10) will make it possible for more students to participate in and benefit from meetings in their field of study.
- Learn how to support student travel funds on IU Day
Although you can give to the Biology Enrichment Fund at any time, a donation to the "Steppin' out for science" student travel fund can only be made on IU Day, April 10, 2019.
- Click on the "Give now" button below.
- Select “Biology Enrichment Fund” in the “Make a Selection” section. Click the Next button.
- On the “My gifts to IU” page, include the amount you wish to give.
- In the “Apply the following options to my gifts” black box, go to the “Gift in honor of” line and insert “Steppin’ out for science.”
- Select the “Review” button which will take you to a secure payment page.
And thank you for helping our students attend scientific conferences!
IU Day fun in the atrium
Stop by the Jordan Hall atrium in the afternoon (12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.) on April 10 for IU Day fun, food, and information.
- Have your picture taken by IU Biology Club members at the photo booth; be sure to wear your cream and crimson!
- Visit with Bloomington Graduate Women in Science members to learn about their organization and activities.
- ICAN Service Dogs at Indiana University members and their dogs will be here from 2:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.; learn about this group and its special mission.
- Enjoy cookies, popcorn, and other snacks.
Submit requests to be a part of the afternoon IU Day activities in the atrium to Debbie Martindale.
Check back to this page for activity updates.