This fellowship was established thanks to George W. Brackenridge who deeded land to Indiana University in 1915.
George W. Brackenridge Fellowship
About George W. Brackenridge
George W. Brackenridge (1832-1920) was born in Indiana and attended Hanover College, Indiana University, and Harvard University. He moved to Texas with his parents in 1853. During the Civil War, Brackenridge was appointed a U.S. Treasury agent and worked for the Treasury Department in New Orleans after its capture by Union forces. Brackenridge later returned to Texas and settled in San Antonio, where he was a banker, business leader, and philanthropist. Brackenridge invested much of his fortune during his lifetime in educational opportunities for underserved children and left the bulk of his estate to be used for educational purposes.