Undergraduate Honors

Formal application for an Honors degree

Once a faculty advisor has agreed to sponsor you for the honors program, you should register with the Department of Biology Honors Committee by contacting Mary Ann Miller.

Scope of the Honors degree

The nature of the honors research project usually reflects both your specific interest area and the focus of faculty advisor’s research program. Given the broad scope of interests represented in the department, a wide variety of honors projects are possible. Undergraduate biology majors can also conduct honors research with faculty in other departments, including the medical sciences, chemistry, psychology, and so on.

  1. An overall GPA of 3.300 or above

  2. Completion of all required coursework for the desired degree

  3. Research work in Biology or in an associated discipline

  4. Successful defense of an Honors thesis as certified by an appropriate faculty committee